Calling all Kinder chocolate lovers: this delicious layer cake is a dream come true! A delicious celebration dessert with Nutella both in the layers and in the frosting and Kinder chocolate in the frosting! It is the perfect birthday cake but also suitable for other celebrations.
What kind of cake is it
This is a classic layer cake with sponge layers mixed together with Nutella. The frosting is made of mascarpone, Nutella and melted kinder chocolate.
What ingredients you need
For this recipe you need few simple ingredients easy to find in the stores:
- all purpose flour
- baking powder
- brown sugar
- vanilla extract
- kinder chocolate
You can use also some kinder bueno chocolate for decoration.
👉The ingredient quantities are below the post, in the recipe card.
Here is a short summary of the recipe for your better understanding. The complete detailed instructions are below the post.
To make the layers of this cake first you need to whip the egg whites with the sugar. Separately mix the egg yolks together with the Nutella. Add the dry ingredients and the whites to the yolk mixture.
Bake the cake in two 7 inch pans for about 40 minutes in a preheated oven to 360º F or 180º C.
These layers are not the typical light sponge layers, hence they need to be soaked with milk. That would make the cake moist and tender.
There are two types of frosting for this cake: one with Nutella and one with Kinder chocolate. First whip the mascarpone and add the Nutella to half of it and the melted Kinder chocolate to the other half. If you find one of them too thick and difficult to mix, add 2-3 tablespoon sour cream.
This cake looks great decorated with kinder chocolates or kinder bueno bars. You can also add some more Nutella in the last part of the frosting and pipe some nice shapes on top of the cake.
This is definitely a great cake that everyone can try make at home! If you prepared it, I would be glad to know how it went!
If you liked the recipe, you may also like the following recipes:
- Chocolate Sponge Cake with Cheesecake filling
- Raffaello Cake (Almond Coconut Cake)
- Quick Nutella and Mascarpone Biscuit Cake
- Lemon and Chocolate Semifreddo
- Chocolate Layer Cake with Mascarpone and Caramelised Meringues
- Healthy Piñata Cake
For the layers:
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups/ 240 g all purpose flour
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cup/ 150 g brown sugar
- ¼ cup/ 70 g Nutella
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For frosting and assembling:
- 1 cup/ 240 ml milk
- 17,6 oz/ 500 g mascarpone
- 5,2 oz/ 150 g kinder chocolate, 12 medium sticks
- ⅓ cup/ 100 g Nutella
- 2-3 tablespoon sour cream optional
- Kinder Bueno bars, optional, for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 360º F/ 180º C. Grease two 7 inch/ 18 cm cake pans and line them with circles of parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl mix together flour and baking powder.
- In a large mixing bowl whip the egg whites together with the sugar until soft peaks form.
- In a separate large bowl combine egg yolks, Nutella and vanilla extract. Beat with the mixer for 1-2 minutes, until creamy.
- Gradually add the flour, alternating with the egg whites. Mix gently with a rubber spatula until smooth.
- Divide the batter between the two pans. Bake for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Let the layers cool completely before assembling the cake.
- Whip the mascarpone to make it creamy. If it is too thick, add 1-2 tablespoon sour cream.
- Divide the mascarpone between two bowls. Add the Nutella to the first one and whip until creamy and uniform.
- Melt the kinder chocolates on a double boiler. Cool it down a bit and add it to the mascarpone. Mix with a rubber spatula until creamy.
- Using a serrated knife cut horizontally the cake bases into two layers each.
- Place one layer on a serving plate. Use a tablespoon to soak it with ¼ cup milk. Spread half of the kinder chocolate frosting (the lighter one) on top.
- Place the second layer and soak it with another ¼ cup milk. Spread about ⅓ of the Nutella frosting. Cover with the third layer, soak it with milk and spread the rest of the kinder frosting.
- Soak the top layer before covering the cake all around with the Nutella frosting. Decorate with kinder bars.
- You can also reserve some frosting and add more Nutella to it and then pipe on top of the cake.