Easy and tasty fish soup: it is easier than you think! In this post I will explain you how to make a homemade fish soup that everyone around you would love. You need few common ingredients and little time.
How did I come up with this recipe
Fish soup is one of the things that I’ve always loved but I’ve never considered cooking myself. The whole idea of preparing fish seemed scary to me. Until eventually one Saturday afternoon, led by my hunger, I took the tough decision: I was cooking a fish soup!
Not surprisingly I decided to make it my way without following strictly any recipe. It had to be something very simple and naturally tasty, with simple ingredients. I didn’t adapt any recipe, just came up with my own way and it proved to be quite successful.
How to prepare this soup
In fact the preparation was so easy that at the end I was already regretting not having cooked it earlier. The secret of the delicious soup is to use lots of nice fish, little vegetables and few spices. I prefer making it with trout and salmon trout, as they are my favourites but it can be prepared with almost any kind of fish. The best way would be if you mix of 2-3 different kinds of fishes as each one will add different flavour and texture.
It is very simple: first you need to boil the fish in order to cook it and make a broth. Then you have to clean it and cook the vegetables in the same broth. Add the fish meat at the end and season as you like!
Check out the detailed step-by-step recipe below!
I made a drawing out of this recipe (yes, surprisingly even for me I can also draw!) which was eventually published in the site They Draw and Cook. I am so happy about it that now I like my soup even more 🙂
Homemade Fish Soup
- 2 pounds/ 1 kg fish, cleaned
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 cubes vegetable stock
- 1 dried chilli pepper, or smoked paprika, optional
- parsley to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the fish in a pot filled with about 1 gallon/ 3,5 litres water.
- Remove the fish from the water and optionally pass the broth through a sieve. Clean the fish from the bones and skin and break it in small pieces.
- Add the stock and the chopped vegetables to the fish broth. Cook for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Return the fish meat to the pot. Add salt, pepper and chopped parsley. Remove from heat and serve. Sprinkle smoked paprika or crushed chilli pepper on top.